Current:Home > ContactJudge raises mental health concern about man held in New Year’s Eve weekend gunfire near Vegas Strip -CapitalWay
Judge raises mental health concern about man held in New Year’s Eve weekend gunfire near Vegas Strip
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 13:08:59
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A California man accused of firing dozens of gunshots from upper floors of a condominium-hotel near the Las Vegas Strip the morning before New Year’s Eve had his bail set at $500,000 on Wednesday.
Jon Roger Letzkus appears to be mentally unstable and “what he is alleged to have done in our community is incredibly dangerous,” Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa said, citing reports to the court following his arrest.
Standing before the judge in shackles, Letzkus, 45, told Saragosa that he “more or less” understood the more than 70 felony charges against him.
Police said no one was found injured by gunfire but nearby buildings were damaged a little before 6 a.m. Sunday at Signature Towers — a three-building complex that is part of the MGM Grand resort east of Las Vegas Boulevard. Police said Letzkus was found and arrested almost five hours later.
Prosecutor Erika Mendoza told the judge on Wednesday that Letzkus admitted firing shots and that the unit he stayed in was severely damaged by “indiscriminate” gunfire and flooding. Mendoza said MGM Resorts estimated damage at more than $100,000.
The judge rejected a bid by Letzkus’ court-appointed lawyer, Dallas Anselmo, to set a minimal bail of $5,000 with electronic location monitoring. Anselmo declined to comment later outside the courtroom.
Records show Letzkus owns property in San Diego and Oregon, and gambling news websites show he has competed in online poker tournaments since at least 2013.
Saragosa cited reports to the court that Letzkus was estranged from his wife and the subject of a court restraining order in California, and that he told officials he was fearful of his parents, said his spouse was “out to get him,” and had hallucinations and delusions.
Saragosa said she was left with “a picture of someone who is mentally unstable, unpredictable.”
Letzkus will have to declare his money source if he posts bail, the judge said, and will have to stay in the Las Vegas area on high-level electronic monitoring ahead of a preliminary hearing Jan. 17.
Police said it appeared that shots were fired from a balcony about halfway up one of the three 38-story Signature Towers buildings, and that the first officers to arrive on Sunday heard gunfire.
Mendoza said Wednesday that people in nearby buildings pinpointed the balcony where shots were fired.
Inside, police did not immediately find Letzkus, but reported recovering a handgun and ammunition.
The incident raised concerns about crowd security ahead of New Year’s Eve events including fireworks that officials said were expected to draw well more than 300,000 people to the Strip and downtown Las Vegas.
Police quickly said Sunday that it appeared Letzkus acted alone and that the incident was not terrorism.
All but two of the 73 charges against Letzkus allege illegal discharge of a firearm. The others accuse him of destroying property and illegally possessing a gun.
Sunday’s gunfire happened within walking distance of a site on the Strip where a gunman in a high-rise hotel rained bullets into an outdoor concert crowd in October 2017, killing 60 people and wounding hundreds in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. That shooter killed himself before police reached him.
Signature Towers is also near the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, where last month an unemployed professor shot and killed three professors and critically wounded a fourth in a business school building before being shot and killed by police near the campus student union.
veryGood! (793)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Rats are high on marijuana evidence at an infested police building, New Orleans chief says
- South Dakota gov. promotes work on her teeth by Texas dentist in infomercial-style social media post
- Raya helps Arsenal beat Porto on penalties to reach Champions League quarterfinals
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Ten years after serving together in Iraq these battle buddies reunited
- TikTok bill passes House in bipartisan vote, moving one step closer to possible ban
- Why Sydney Sweeney Wanted to Wear Angelina Jolie's 2004 Oscars Dress
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- American-Israeli IDF soldier Itay Chen confirmed to have died during Hamas' Oct. 7 terror attack
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Hair Products That Work While You Sleep: Go From Bedhead to Bombshell With Minimal Effort
- Proposal would allow terminal patients in France to request help to die
- Republican Valadao and Democrat Salas advance in California’s competitive 22nd district
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Stop hackers cold: Tech tips to secure your phone's data and location
- Schedule, bracket, storylines ahead of the last Pac-12 men's basketball tournament
- Jenna Dewan Reveals How Fiancé Steve Kazee Slid Into Her DMs After Channing Tatum Breakup
Recommendation
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Tamron Hall's new book is a compelling thriller, but leaves us wanting more
US and Japanese forces to resume Osprey flights in Japan following fatal crash
Schedule, bracket, storylines ahead of the last Pac-12 men's basketball tournament
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
U.S. giving Ukraine $300 million in weapons even as Pentagon lacks funds to replenish stockpile
Olivia Munn Shares Breast Cancer Diagnosis
India’s new citizenship law excludes Muslims. Why?